Many of our clients often ask if we can get them a free flight upgrade. Typically, airlines provide free upgrades to their elite status loyalty program members, however, a recent survey conducted by Skyscanner found that nearly two-thirds of cabin crew members have given someone a free upgrade for a variety of reasons. According to the survey, the most likely candidates for free flight upgrades are well-dressed, single men in their thirties.
Being mannerly and patient are always championing ways to behave. Frequent flyers and those who are traveling alone were reported to be most often the winners of upgrades, regardless of gender. It just happens that more of those kinds of travelers seem to be male.
Here are five ways to improve your chances for a flight upgrade on your next business trip:
- Check in early – There are probably only a limited number of seats available; you might be rewarded by being the first to check in.
- Join the airline’s loyalty program – Airlines are likely to upgrade their frequent flyers first.
- Stay in touch – Some airlines offer reduced-price premium seats as boarding time approaches. Check your email and social media.
- Dress like it’s a special occasion – Dress to impress people might just do that very thing.
- Be kindhearted – Your generosity towards fellow passengers might just be rewarded by a generous seat in premium, should a crew member spot your benevolence and wish to reward your kindness in kind.
Here is a link to a Huffington Post article with additional information on the topic.