Can you believe 2019 is already here and in full swing? We can’t help but look ahead and contemplate what this new year may bring. In business travel; technology, customization, and traveler comfort continually advances. In 2018 we saw changes like; increased mobile bookings, a growing acceptance of the sharing economy industry, and the implementation of the GDPR. In 2019, it’s safe to say that customization will continue to advance, with an enhanced emphasis in security.
2019 business travel trends – here’s what to expect
- Increased cybersecurity. With the recent Marriott-Starwood data breach, cyber security is on everyone’s mind. Add in the relatively new GDPR regulations, continued advances in travel security should be a highlight. In fact, so airlines, like United, are already thinking far ahead and testing their options within blockchain.
- Biometrics in airports. Biometrics are no longer a thing of sci fi novels. Just recently, Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport became the first in the United States to open a biometrics security terminal. What does that mean? You will soon be able to check in and drop off baggage with a facial recognition screening. You may also be able to breeze through the security line, without ever having to take out your identification or ticket.
- Women in business travel. The #metoo movement continues to empower women to have their voices heard. It will be interesting to see if trends evolve within the business travel industry, catering specifically to the needs and concerns of women business travelers.
- Expect additional AI integration. You are likely already engaging with artificial intelligence if you’ve ever used a chatbox on a website, or have been notified of a change on your flight. As helpful as online automation and chatbox technology is, it tends be used as customer solution instead of a tool. While it does work well in certain situations, it does not make up for talking to a an experienced travel agent when you need it the most. With this latest technology, it’s also important to value the one-on-one customer service you have with your TMC.
- Advances in data-driven analytics will lead to real-time reporting and actionable intelligence. Our Analytics tools allows travel managers to make actionable decisions instantly. We’re excited to see more of clients utilize this feature, potentially changing how they understand and manage their business travel.
What do you think will be at the forefront of 2019 business travel? Let us know in the comments below, or connect with us on Linkedin.