When I meet someone new and they ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I work for a large travel management company in the sales department. That’s perfectly clear, right? Based on the looks I get from my response, apparently not! So I’ve realized that not everyone knows what a travel management company (TMC) is or what we do. So, “What does that really mean?”
What is the definition of a Travel Management Company?
In a nutshell, Travel Management Companies (TMCs) work B2B providing helpful solutions for their travel management processes. Whether employees are consistently on the road or only fly occasionally, travel management is time consuming and can be costly if not managed correctly.
How do travel management companies help keep a company’s travel running smoothly:
- Working with a TMC often begins by ensuring the travel policy is appropriate for the company’s needs. For example, it can be stated in the travel policy that first-class seating is not allowed. This policy helps keep the costs for the company in-line and manageable. This rule can then be enforced in booking and ticketing.
- TMCs often also provide online systems or call-in systems to book travel, based on what’s best for the company. This includes assisting with the day-to-day operation of the corporate travel program.
- A TMC helps negotiate contracts with vendors, to ensure they are getting the best deal available.
- TMCs can assist with the employer’s Duty of Care requirements. Ensuring the safety and security of employees while they are traveling on business can be one of the biggest stressors for travel managers. Utilizing the services of a TMC can put systems in place to alleviate the unknowns and provide communication if an emergency occurs.
What is the cost fo working with a travel management company?
Working with a TMC can cost as low as $5 per itinerary! While every TMC’s pricing is different, the overall value far exceeds the benefits of managing travel on your own.
For 60 years, Christopherson has been providing companies of all sizes across the globe with cost effective, personalized, and hassle-free business travel management and resources. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of using a TMC, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- What are the benefits of a TMC?
- How Christopherson reduces travel costs for our clients
- The first questions to ask TMCs – Part 1