United’s recent merger with Continental has resulted in many questions regarding their Mileage Membership accounts. We received the following information from United to share with our clients and hope you find it helpful in answering some of the questions you might have in regards to this issue.
2012 MileagePlus Program: New Account Number Information and Start of Program FAQs
1. When will I receive my 2012 credentials and membership card?
We will begin mailing 2012 Premier credentials in mid-February.
2. When will I receive my new MileagePlus account number and when can I begin using it?
If you are being assigned a new eight-character MileagePlus account number, you can log in to your personalized page to retrieve it starting February 23.
You can start using the number on March 3. Your current 11-digit MileagePlus account number will be recognized for a short time after that, but it will be important to start using the new account number as soon as possible. We understand that your account number may be linked to partners and travel agencies, so we will provide you with time to coordinate this change.
3. What is a PIN?
When the MileagePlus program migrates to using eight-character account numbers, Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) will also be required. The PIN will be unique to your account and is designed to protect your account from unauthorized use. It will be required when calling United or MileagePlus for transactions such as redeeming award miles or changing the address on your account. The PIN does not replace your password and will not be required for online transactions.
If you are a MileagePlus member and aren’t linked to a OnePass account, we assigned you a PIN when we assigned you a new eight-character MileagePlus account number. After March 3, you can reset your PIN at United.com/AccountSettings. You must have a valid email address in your account.
If you are a OnePass member and already have a PIN, it will carry forward into the MileagePlus program.
4. I am a member of both MileagePlus and OnePass. Which account number should I include in reservations I book between now and March 3? You can continue to use either account number to make reservations and earn miles, as you do today. No matter which account you use, your miles and status are safe.
5. Can I use my new eight-character MileagePlus number before March 3?
No. It will not be valid until March 3, 2012. Continue to use your current 11-digit number until then.
6. Can I combine my OnePass and MileagePlus miles?
Yes. If you have both a MileagePlus and a OnePass account, you can transfer miles between them through March 2. Start at United.com/TransferMyMiles.
7. I have accounts in both programs and they aren’t linked. What will happen after March 3?
After March 3, you will have two MileagePlus accounts: your current MileagePlus account and a new MileagePlus account that replaces your OnePass account. Both accounts will be valid for earning and redeeming miles. However, you should consolidate them in order to consolidate your mileage earning. By early April we will have an online process for you to request an account consolidation. If you want to consolidate the accounts before April, you must call the MileagePlus Service Center.
8. Will we continue the existing MileagePlus mileage expiration policy?
Yes. However, we want our members to enjoy and be engaged in the MileagePlus program, so we’ve made it easy to keep your miles active. As long as you earn or use MileagePlus award miles at least once every 18 months, your miles will never expire. And there are hundreds of ways to earn or use award miles, such as flying United or any partner airline, staying at any of the many partner hotels, using miles to buy flowers or a magazine subscription, shopping online through one of our numerous MileagePlus partners, purchasing miles or donating award miles to a charity. In addition, if you have an eligible Chase-issued OnePass or MileagePlus Credit Card, your award miles will never expire, as long as your card account is in good standing.
For current OnePass accounts, the MileagePlus policy will go into effect on April 1, 2012, which means the earliest award miles could expire for former OnePass members is September 30, 2013.
9. I didn’t make Premier Silver/Gold/Platinum/1K status for 2012. Can I still earn it?
Select members are eligible for a limited-time offer to purchase the remaining 2011 EQM or EQS/EQP they need to earn a higher Premier status level for 2012. The last day to participate in the offer is February 28, 2012.
10. How do I find out if I am eligible for the Purchase EQM offer?
To see if you are eligible, contact MileagePlus Customer Service or OnePass Customer Service.
11. Once the 2012 MileagePlus program begins, will I be able to request upgrades on the day of departure or at the airport? Members can request to be put on the waitlist for Mileage Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades until 24 hours before departure. Within 24 hours, these upgrades can be requested only through united.com or United Reservations, and only if upgrade seats are available.
If you are a Premier member traveling on an eligible flight, a Complimentary Premier Upgrade is requested automatically on your behalf when you book your ticket, even on the day of departure.
12. If I’m a Premier member, can my traveling companion receive a Complimentary Premier Upgrade?
Yes. One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. This benefit applies to all Premier levels, including Premier Silver. Further, if the upgrade is confirmed before check-in, the Premier member and the companion will remain on the same reservation.
Note that for flights operated by Copa, Complimentary Premier Upgrade companions will continue to confirm on the day of departure.
13. If I have questions regarding the status of my account, whom should I contact?
You should continue to work with representatives from your current program to answer questions regarding your account.